We go through our days so focused on the task at hand, at our to-do list, that we often forget to look back on all we have to be thankful for. I too am a victim of this monotonous trap.
When I think back on the past year, I know I have much to be thankful for. Whether big or small, these moments shift and shape who I am today and how I will view the world tomorrow.
1. My loving family that, though imperfect, will stand by each other through thick and thin. We all have our quirks, our mood swings, some relationships that are stronger than others…but at the end of the day we are family and we will fight for each other’s happiness until the end of time.
2. My boyfriend who loves me despite my addiction to Jeopardy, attempts at “singing”, crazy hair days, amazing ability to cut myself every time I cook (even if with a plastic knife), and lack of hand-eye coordination.
3. Having my health. Health is something I had not always focused on. But having a healthy heart, steady mind, and bountiful breath carries me through each day. I want to cherish this body for a long time in the hopes it can continue to take me to magical places, experience exciting adventures, and appreciate those around me.
4. The little lives that have been born to my friends and family in the last year. Those tiny feet and huge eyes remind me of the innocence of childhood and the joys of family.
5. Moments in life that challenge me. It’s when I am faced with a challenge, a really tough situation where I want to cry, to pout, to discourage myself that I am faced with a decision – do I let this moment consume me, or do I push through like the tough cookie I was raised to be? When I choose the latter, I not only succeed but I grow.